Should you hire a divorce lawyer in Sandy? Consider these signs!
Getting divorced in Utah doesn’t have to be a lengthy or complicated process. There is a minimum waiting period of 90 days after the initial filing, following which you can expect to get divorced, provided you and your spouse agree on crucial aspects. So, when do you need a Sandy divorce lawyer? Below are five signs that you need to lawyer up to navigate through the process.
- You have considerable assets. If you and your spouse are fighting over the distribution of assets, you certainly need to get an attorney on your side. High-net divorces are inherently complex, and while Utah allows for “equitable distribution” of assets, it doesn’t mean you would get half the share. Aspects like the duration of the marriage and fault would be considered by the court. Ensure that you hire an attorney so that you don’t end up giving everything to your spouse.
- You are fighting for child custody. Child support and child custody often remain key issues between separating parents, and because you are so involved in the legal aspects, it can be hard to retain objectivity. Your lawyer is not only the best person to advise on the matter, but they can fight for your rights too.
- You and your spouse have trust issues. If you and your spouse are fighting over issues and have no trust or faith in each other, you cannot leave everything to the court. Get an attorney so that they can help mediate and come up with arrangements and agreements that are acceptable to both sides.
- You don’t understand divorce laws. Most people don’t bother about family law matters unless it concerns them directly. If you feel that you don’t understand divorce laws or need help with evaluating your legal options, you should rely on an attorney rather than your family or friends.
- You are feeling overwhelmed and need support. It is okay to feel stressed and emotional during the course of the divorce, and if you think that you cannot deal with everything on your own, lawyering up is always wise. Remember that attorneys can handle all the paperwork, and therefore, you don’t have to stress over all that.
Divorces often involve things that are not pleasant to deal with. If you are not on good terms with your spouse, you have all the more reason to hire a divorce lawyer. Don’t let anyone tell you that you are better without legal help.